Monday, February 25, 2013

Burke Ch. 3 Natural Curiosity

“Be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.”
-Henry David Thoreau, from “Civil Disobedience”

In this chapter, Burke described how he takes the required curriculum for 9th grade English (such as Romeo and Juliet) and determines which important questions the text answers in order to turn the teaching of Romeo and Juliet into an inquiry unit.  This is similar to what I did for the unit I taught this year on Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.  I actually thought this approach was almost “cheating” but I am glad to know it is perfectly acceptable.  Until the day comes that English teachers are given the freedom to select their own texts based on their students’ needs (I won’t hold my breath), this is probably the only way many teachers will be able to design inquiry-based units.  Burke explained that inquiry-oriented classrooms increase student motivation and engagement, higher-order thinking skills, strategic and conceptual understanding, and improve students’ attitudes towards learning in general.
For Romeo and Juliet, Burke decided to focus on the theme of relationships.  The play provides insight into relationships between lovers, friends, family members and mentors.  The essential question he chose was, “How do relationships shape our values, actions and lives?”  Students began exploring the theme by interviewing someone who is in love.  During reading students utilize several structured note-taking graphic organizers to help them compare and contrast characters’ attitudes towards love or determine the significance of certain details from the text.  I loved the way these graphic organizers made the steps involved in deep analysis of the text explicitly clear.  He also had students create a graphic called a “decision tree” to demonstrate the options that Romeo and Juliet had to consider and the possible consequences of each.  Even though Romeo and Juliet did not make very wise decisions in the end, I could see this process helping students to improve their own decision-making skills.  All of the notes that students take during reading can be used to write an essay that counts as an exam grade in which students discuss the various types of relationships in Romeo and Juliet and how those reflect real life relationships. 

I liked so many things about this unit plan that it almost made me wish I still taught freshman English so that I could utilize this plan in its entirety.  Almost.  Actually what I will do is use this model when I plan next year’s unit on Macbeth for my senior English classes.  I would like to explore the essential question, “How much control do we really have over our own lives or how many circumstances are beyond our control?”.  This theme of determinism vs. fate is a significant theme in Macbeth, and the question is an important one for young adults who are just beginning to take control of their own lives and destinies. 
Here are links to the handouts that I mentioned that Jim Burke designed for this unit:

Interviewing: An Overview
Conversational Roundtable
Romeo and Juliet Structured Note-taking Handout
Decision Tree Graphic Organizer
Final Exam: Romeo and Juliet

Thank you heinemann.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment