Friday, September 7, 2012

Mini-Autobiography


The Basics

My Name is April Etzold - soon to be April Ring after my wedding next summer.  I have lived in Fort Myers for about 10 years, so I now call it home.  During my childhood I lived all over the country, and in other countries.  I have lived in Colorado, Texas, California, Mississippi and Germany – that is the life of an Army “Brat”!  I cannot even begin to name all of the schools I attended as a child, but I graduated from Harrison Central High school in Gulfport, Mississippi in 1996.  I always loved English and participated in many extracurricular activities, including cheerleading and swimming.  

Next I moved to Hattiesburg to attend the University of Southern Mississippi, majoring in English Education.  I graduated in 2001 with the Latin distinction summa cum laude. I began applying for teaching positions in Florida and was soon offered a job at North Fort Myers High School.  In 2002 I packed my bags and began the journey to Southwest Florida – a part of the state that was completely unknown to me. 

Since moving to Florida I have taught intensive reading and English at every grade level in high school.   I worked at North Fort Myers High School for six years and have recently begun my fourth year at Island Coast High School in northern Cape Coral.  For the past five years I have focused primarily on teaching seniors.  I usually teach all of the same students for English and intensive reading, that way I can work with them as much as possible in both classes to improve their reading skills. 

My immediate family members consist of my parents, stepparents, two sisters and my fiancé.  All except my fiancé live in Mississippi.  My older sister is a pediatric nurse practitioner.  She is 37 years old and expecting her first child in October.  My younger sister is 17 years old and a junior in high school.  She is very creative and hopes to attend an art institute after high school.  Despite the significant age difference, both sisters are my full siblings.  My parents divorced shortly after the birth of my younger sister and have both since remarried.  My father is retired from the Army and my mother and stepfather work at a VA hospital.  My fiancé works on cell phone towers and often has to travel for work.

My Journey to Teaching
Growing up I always knew that I was interested in a profession that involved helping others.  I considered being a teacher or a nurse.  My senior year of high school I had an especially inspirational teacher for AP English who solidified my interest in becoming an English teacher.  I had never taken an AP class before and wound up earning the highest grade in class and was chosen out of everyone in my graduating class to receive the academic award for English.  This gave me the confidence I needed to go on to college and pursue a major in English.

Even though I never considered teaching reading until I was offered a position doing so, I have found my niche in teaching struggling readers.  Growing up, and even in college, I always had a love of learning, but most of my friends did not.  I understand the lack of motivation that plagues most struggling readers, and I have been fairly successful at giving apathetic students the encouragement they need to succeed. Last year 75 percent of the students who entered my reading class at the beginning of the school year were successful in passing the FCAT or receiving the concordant score on the ACT or SAT by the end of the school year. Seeing the students that I have grown to know and love walk across the stage on graduation day and knowing that I played a direct role in helping them get there is the most rewarding experience that I have ever had.  It is what motivates me to keep working hard every day for my students.

I Am Poem

I am a daughter and sister.  Even though my family lives far away, I try to maintain close contact with them.  My mother, older sister and I traveled the world together and often had to rely upon each other for support when my father was serving our country in Korea or the Middle East.  We also stuck close together whenever we moved to a new and unfamiliar place, exploring new schools, new towns, and new countries together.  My little sister came along at a very different time in my family’s life.  I was almost grown when she was born, so I have helped raise her since she was a baby and have watched her with pride as she grew into the beautiful young woman that she is today.

I am a fiancé.  After years of playing the dating game and searching for someone who I could imagine growing old with, I met him when I wasn’t even looking.  He was the bravest, most loyal and honest person I had ever met.  Together we are starting a life together and looking forward to all of the possibilities to come.

I am a student.  I began the master’s program at FGCU about a year ago, after dreaming and talking about it for years.  I have learned so many knew skills and strategies to enhance my teaching that I now approach every day in the classroom with new vigor.  My viewpoints are shifting and I am considering possibilities for my future that I never before imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment